Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Best and Worst

I read this quote today by Darrin Patrick that said "Want to see the best and worst version of yourself? Hang out with your kids." That stuck me right in the heart. Not because I don't know it's true for me, but because I know that it is. Ryan and I talk about this often. We see qualities in our kids that we don't like and the Lord is quick to show us that they are a reflection of us. So, if you are in our home when we realize that their bad qualities are a result of us, we repent. We repent to God and then we repent to our kids. We explain to them that mommy or daddy does something that isn't appropiate and that we are sorry that we taught that to them but from now on, no one can behave that way. And if they see us behave that way again that they need to let us know that we are not honoring God. And let me tell you, it's pretty humbling to have a 2, 3, 4, or 5 year old let you know you aren't honoring God in the moment. I am thankful for my kids for so many reasons. I love them so dearly. But this lesson right here ranks as one of my favorite reasons I love having kids. Because they teach me that I am not perfect. They remind me daily that I screw up. It allows me to never think more highly of myself, but forces me on my knees because I realize every day how much I need Him. But they also have taught me more about God's grace. They never hold grudges. They forgive easily and love unconditionally. Having them has taught me to love everyone better. Imagine if we all loved as children do...if we all forgave as quickly as children do, if we never held account of wrongs as children do...what a beautiful place this would be. My children have taught me to view the world and people differently and for that I am forever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment